Wednesday, October 22, 2008

doughnut!

Tomorrow I begin the journey to Berlin, Germany, and I return next Tuesday (28 October). I will take the train with Marlene to Belfast where we'll meet her friend who is putting us up for the night. Belfast is a despondent city, but I have honestly never been with someone who lives there. Perhaps it has more to boast than the Europa hotel (bombed thirty times in three decades) and the ship yard that birthed the Titanic. I hear that they have Christmas markets starting the second week in November, which makes me think of my mother.

Marlene wants to hitch hike back to Coleraine from Belfast on our return day. That will be an adventure. I have never hitch hiked, and I can't imagine that this country has the best November climate for thumbing down the road.

Time to sleep and start adventuring now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

be safely back in ireland the northerly separate state...do walls indicate the english part of ire...or is it the ire of the english that keeps the northern part of ire..land ...maybe just a bluff of a giant that screwed up the hole mess and fueled the ambitions of an impetuous wee country to wall off the north and play conquering protestant....doth the catholics still protest the conquering protestants...such is irony ....such is ire land. the dad...the scot that is...another subject...conquered that is different time different story same result...almost..albeit?

Anonymous said...

ironic #2 that you went to the city that tore the walls down and yet bemoan the walls decaying on the emerald isle...pshaah